American Red Cross Training & CertificationThe Dallas Park and Recreation Department’s Aquatic Services Division is proud to offer the American Red Cross training and certification programs. Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor Certification courses prepare individuals for jobs in a variety of aquatic settings such as country clubs, camps, and municipal swimming pools. We also offer re-certification courses in both life guarding and CPR.
To register please download and print the registration form and follow the instructions for submitting it.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course Prerequisites
- Must be at least 15 years old (by last day of class)
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing (can use freestyle or breaststroke only)
- Tread water for two minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within one minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards
- Surface dive, feet‐first or head‐first to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10‐pound object.
- Surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands holding the object during entire return swim. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Course Prerequisites
- Must be at least 16 years old (by last day of class)
- Must possess American Red Cross Level 4 competencies or equivalent:
- Front Crawl: 25 yards
- Elementary Backstroke: 25 yards
- Breaststroke: 15 yards
- Back Crawl: 15 yards
- Butterfly: 15 yards